What is the project about?
It aims to provide young people with the necessary awareness and knowledge about new concepts:
- Carbon footprint
- Recycling of building materials and of all materials in general
- Water consumption
- Acidification of the earth.
Thanks to the creation of a game, Ecobuild Serious Game, students will be able to make their own virtual constructions, using real parameters so that they will see the estimated impact in terms of carbon footprint depending on the use of different materials and construction techniques for the building. The most common materials and techniques currently used in European countries will be included in the game, incorporating the most important parameters in terms of environmental impact, not only related to the energy consumption of the resulting building, but also to the extraction of materials, their future recycling, their durability, their reusability, etc.
In addition, a multimedia resource centre will be created where students will be able to find information on these concepts and on techniques and materials that they can put into practice in the video game.
The EcoBuild Project focuses on young students between 12 and 16 years old and provides them with the necessary awareness and knowledge about new concepts, such as carbon footprint, recyclability of building materials and all materials in general, water consumption or the acidification of the earth.
Through the EcoBuild Game, students will be able to make their own virtual constructions, which using real parameters will give the estimated impact in terms of carbon footprint depending on the use of different materials and construction techniques for the building.
- The mitigation of climate change and its impact on the life of the planet is currently the top priority in the European Commission’s policy, and CO2 emissions play an important role in limiting climate change. The construction sector is responsible for approximately 30% of these emissions and, in addition to the updating and awareness of professionals in the sector, the behaviour of citizens when contracting, using, maintaining and demolishing buildings plays an important role in aiming to reduce these emissions.
- The Ecobuilding project will provide young people with the necessary awareness and knowledge about concepts such as carbon footprint, recyclability of building materials, water or energy consumption or soil acidification. At the same time, they will gain general knowledge about building materials and techniques, their suitability for different building functions and their particular impact in terms of carbon footprint.
Partner institutions and companies
- Consellería de Educación, Universidad y Formación Profesional – Galicia, Spain
- Centro Tecnológico del Mármol, la Piedra y los Materiales (CTM) – Murcia, Spain
- Scuola Edile Padova (CPT) – Padova, Italy
- Colegiul Național “Fratii Buzești” (CNFB) – Craiova, Romania
- University of Akdeniz – Antalya, Turkey
- Atenea Projects Lda. – Galicia, Spain