“Its overall objective is to empower society, especially young people, and public institutions, businesses, NGOs and other social actors, to act as agents of change for environmental and sustainable development”.
In a global context where the ecological transition is becoming an urgency, it is of utmost importance to develop new initiatives that contribute to changing the patterns of our environmental impact. In addition to measures implemented at the political level, individuals have a key role to play in reversing the increase in emissions and overall pollution that are leading to a climate emergency, as recently declared by the EU.
In this context, the aim of our project is to analyse at the community and individual level our own hotspots and, through environmental education, try to raise awareness and initiate coordinated actions to facilitate the ecological transition. Thus, when elaborating the project proposal, together with our partners we had identified the following needs/problems:
- There is a lack of scientific environmental education
- Young people are the generation most concerned about global warming and environmentally friendly practices.
- In a global economy, and in an increasingly connected world, actions and their consequences are globally connected.
- To implement a methodology to analyse the state of the art of the environment at regional level and develop a meaningful mapping.
- Create a handbook of good practices for individuals, public institutions and industries and private companies.
- Elaborate a comparative analysis between the participating regions to identify good practices and implement a knowledge transfer in those areas of expertise between partners.
- Raise awareness of environmental challenges among different sectors of society and engage the whole community in the adoption of environmentally friendly measures to mitigate climate change.
- To enable local institutions and NGOs to find opportunities to develop green projects and policies through European, national and international funding, enhancing cooperation.
– City Council of O Porriño – Galicia, Spain
– IES Ribeira do Louro – Galicia, Spain
– ASPEA (Associação Portuguesa de Educação Ambiental) – Portugal
– University of Cape Verde – Praia, Cape Verde, Portugal
– Associação de Educação de Jovens e Adultos de Nampula- Nampula, Mozambique